FAQ (Ordering)

  1. Searching for Bioresources
  2. Required Documents
  3. ORDER FORM (Form M-10)
  5. Pricing
  6. Payment
  7. Shipping
  8. Cultivating/Reviving
  9. Genomic DNA
  10. Others
Searching for Bioresources1-1How do I search for a strain in the JCM collection?Users are able to search the online catalogue for JCM strains using the scientific name, JCM accession number, accession number of other culture collections, and other strain data (keyword).
You can also filter your search results by names of taxonomic or physiological classifications using "Lists of JCM strains".
If you cannot find JCM strains in the online catalog even though the JCM number is described on a paper, please contact us by email.
Searching for Bioresources1-2What kind of information can I get from the online catalogue? How do I understand the contents?Please refer to the "Online Catalogue Information".
Searching for Bioresources1-3There's a strain with a JCM accession number cited in a paper that does not appear in the JCM catalogue. Is it possible to obtain this strain?Please contact us via email <inquiry.jcm@riken.jp>.
Searching for Bioresources1-4How do I find the JCM accession number of strains that were transferred from the IAM Culture Collection?If you have the IAM number, please use the "Accession number of other culture collection" search. There are about 1,800 strains that have been transferred from the IAM Culture Collection. A list is available at <https://www.jcm.riken.jp/cgi-bin/jcm/iam_list?lang=en>.
Required Documents2-1Could you tell me the necessary documents for an order?Required documents for all orders:
· ORDER FORM (Form M-10)
Only if requested:

Please check 3. List of required documents for further information.

Required Documents2-2Do I have to send the original copy of the MTA by mail?Please send the MTA as a PDF file via email <inquiry.jcm@riken.jp>. However, mail is also acceptable.
ORDER FORM (Form M-10)3-1I'm a university student. Can I purchase strains from JCM?No, students cannot be a RECIPIENT scientist. Please ask your instructor or professor to be the recipient on your behalf.
ORDER FORM (Form M-10)3-2I'd like to place a large order, but the order form doesn't have enough space to input all of them. Can I use two forms?If there is insufficient space, use a separate sheet of paper and make a list of strains titled "Attachment for Order Form." Also, write "See attachment" on the order form. Then, submit the form with the list as an attachment.
MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT (Form M-11/M-11C)4-1What's the difference between Category I and II?Please check 2. Material Transfer Agreement for details.
Category I MTA: For not-for-profit academic research by not-for-profit institutions.
Category II MTA: Applicable for the following:
For research to be conducted by for-profit organization.
For collaborative research by not-for-profit organization with for-profit organization.
For research by not-for-profit organization outsourced and sponsored by for-profit organization.
For for-profit research by not-for-profit organization, including R&D with the aim of patent acquisition.
MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT (Form M-11/M-11C)4-2I'd like to order some strains for my research and apply for patents if possible. Which category form should I use?Please use a Category II MTA form (For for-profit research).
For further information, please check 2. Material Transfer Agreement.
Note: Please provide a clear description of the purpose.
MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT (Form M-11/M-11C)4-3I signed a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) with a previous order. If I am submitting an order request for the same strain, is it necessary to submit an MTA a second time?A previously signed MTA is valid as long as the Recipient Scientist, Authorized Representative, research purpose, and strain(s) are the same. In such cases, enter the number of the previously signed MTA ("BM" + 5 digit number) on the ORDER FORM (Form M-10) and send it to JCM via email <inquiry.jcm@riken.jp>.
MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT (Form M-11/M-11C)4-4How do I enter the Research Purpose for Clause 2(a) of the "Material Transfer Agreement"?Fill in the research purpose in detail. Write specifically how and for what purpose you are going to use the JCM strain(s). If the information is considered insufficient, we may ask you to add more or rewrite it.
MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT (Form M-11/M-11C)4-5I would like to use strains for multiple research purposes. How should I fill in Clause 2(a) of the MTA regarding the research purpose?Please submit a separate MTA for each research purpose.
MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT (Form M-11/M-11C)4-6Where do I find the terms and conditions for Clause 4 of the "Material Transfer Agreement"?Refer to the table displayed in the lower part of the JCM Online Catalogue for each strain. If the table indicates "Terms and conditions" "Not imposed", leave it blank or fill in "N/A". If the table indicates "Terms and conditions" "Imposed", click the [information] button, then fill in the whole sentences displayed. (or print out the webpage as an attachment.) Please refer to page 2 of the “Online Catalogue Information”.
MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT (Form M-11/M-11C)4-7There doesn't seem to be any terms and conditions imposed for a particular strain. What should I enter in Clause 4 of the "Material Transfer Agreement"?If any of the strains you are ordering do not have terms and conditions imposed, leave it blank or fill in "N/A".
MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT (Form M-11/M-11C)4-8There are multiple terms and conditions imposed resulting in not enough space on the form. What should I do?Enter "See the attachment" in Clause 4 of the MTA, print out the webpage with the terms and conditions on a separate sheet of paper with the heading "Attachment for the MTA", and attach it to the back of the MTA.
MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT (Form M-11/M-11C)4-9I purchased a strain from JCM last year. Can I use it for my new research this year?If a strain is subsequently used for a purpose other than the original purpose, we require that you sign a new MTA. Please inform RIKEN BRC-JCM beforehand of any intent to change the research purpose.
MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT (Form M-11/M-11C)4-10Can I ask my immediate boss to sign the MTA?If the candidate is in one of the following positions, he/she can sign the MTA as the Authorized Representative. For anything unclear, please contact us by email <inquiry.jcm@riken.jp>.

· President of Company
· Dean of University / College / School / Faculty
· Director of Research Institute
· Head of Intellectual Property Management Division

The MTA is a formal contract to be executed between institutions. Therefore, we ask your Authorized Representative to be an authority listed above.
MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT (Form M-11/M-11C)4-11Can I edit the terms of the MTA?RIKEN BRC does not accept editing of the terms of the MTA. Please contact JCM via email <inquiry.jcm@riken.jp> if you have any further questions.
Pricing5-1Could you send me a quotation (a proforma invoice)?Please fill out the ORDER FORM (Form M-10/10C) and send it to JCM via email <inquiry.jcm@riken.jp>. We will issue a quotation based on the order form and send it back to you via email. At this point, it is not necessary to submit a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA).
Pricing5-2Do you offer any special discounts?We offer special discounts for large-volume orders. Please check 4. Fees for further information.
Payment6-1What forms of payment do you accept? Which payment methods are available?We accept payments by credit card (MasterCard and Visa only) and bank transfer in Japanese yen.
Note: For users from organizations overseas, RIKEN BRC requires advance payment before sending bioresources. Please pay the distribution fees in advance.
Payment6-2When can I get my invoice?RIKEN BRC Front Desk <brc-front@ml.riken.jp> will send you an invoice via email within 10 business days after your order is confirmed and you receive a reception number from JCM via email.
Note: For users from organizations overseas, the RIKEN BRC requires advance payment before sending bioresources. Please pay the distribution fees in advance.
Payment6-3Unfortunately we cannot pay in Japanese Yen. Are you able to be paid in US dollars, Euros or pound sterling? Can you send me an invoice in U.S dollars/euro?We accept payments in US dollar (USD), euro (EUR), and other major currencies. We can issue an invoice in U.S dollars/euro when requested. Otherwise, we usually issue invoices in Japanese Yen (JPY).
Payment6-4We have completed the payment. Can I get the official receipt?Thank you very much for your payment. With respect to the official receipt, please inquire with the RIKEN BRC Front Desk <brc-front@ml.riken.jp>.
Payment6-5Could you send us the receipt for the order?Please request the receipt by email .
If you choose credit card payment, please note that the formal receipt may not be issued until the end of next month.
( If you need the receipt before the end of next month, we can issue a proof of payment, which certifies account information and payment date. )
Payment6-6We would like to use a courier for the shipment. Could you include the freight in the invoice?Please refer to our web page that explains the freight.

< 4. Fees >
If the governmental postal service ("post") is selected as carrier, the fee for shipping will be included in the invoice.
If the forwarder is selected, the shipping company should be arranged for by the Recipient, and the fee for shipping should be handled as cash on delivery (COD).
If required, an import permit/license should be obtained and provided when the order is placed.
The shipping charge will be charged to your account directly by the courier and our invoice will only include the fee for the strains.
Shipping7-1What shipping method will be used?We mainly use post and FedEx (or TNT). If you’d like to use an alternative shipping method, please contact JCM at <inquiry.jcm@riken.jp>.
Shipping7-2Can you send me the tracking number when you ship my cultures?You will receive an email with the title "[RIKEN BRC-JCM] Your resources dispatched" when your package is shipped, and the tracking number will be mentioned in this email message.
Shipping7-3Could you sent the parcel to our affiliated company?We cannot send cultures to any other person or place except the recipient (recipient’s address) in the order form since the MTA is an agreement between the RECIPIENT and RIKEN BRC.
Shipping7-4I would like to ask if you can provide the official MSDS (Material Safety & Data Sheet) for the strain.Unfortunately, we do not provide a Material Safety & Data Sheet. All information is shown on our online catalogue.
(We attach a printed catalogue page to the parcel for customs clearance.)
Cultivation/Revival8-1How do we cultivate strains once we receive them?Basic information for cultivation (kind of medium, cultivation temperature, related scientific paper information etc.) is provided on the JCM Online Catalogue. Please refer to the catalogue. To revive lyophilized or L-dried cultures, please use JCM designated culture conditions (designated rehydration fluid, medium, temperature, etc.). For how to open Freeze dried or L-dried ampoules, refer to <https://jcm.brc.riken.jp/en/ordering_e/revive_e>. For how to revive Frozen-thawed cultures, refer to <https://jcm.brc.riken.jp/en/ordering_e/revivef_e>.
Cultivation/Revival8-2We tried to revive the culture we received; however, it was unsuccessful.Please provide details of your handling of the culture at the time of revival (storage condition until revival, rehydration fluid and medium used for revival, temperature used, number of days of incubation etc.) The curator in-charge of the strain will check the conditions. If we determine that you are eligible for a one-time only free replacement offer, we will provide the same culture or an alternative culture free. However, if the initial failure to revive was not caused by our negligence, or, if the free replacement culture needs to be handled in a BSL2 facility, additional fees for special packaging and transportation may be charged.
Moreover, if revival is not done under JCM designated conditions, is reported after the deadline, or unsuccessful revival is caused by user negligence, the free replacement offer will not apply and you will need to consider re-purchasing the strain. For more details, please refer to <https://jcm.brc.riken.jp/en/ordering_e#terms_of_use>.
Genomic DNA9-1We would like you to provide genomic DNA of JCM strains.Genomic DNA of JCM strains can be provided by the Gene Engineering Division. Please refer to <https://dna.brc.riken.jp/en/>, and place an order with the Gene Engineering Division.
Genomic DNA9-2Can genomic DNA that is not listed on the RIKEN BRC Gene Engineering Division Online Catalogue be provided?If the desired genomic DNA is not listed, contact us by email. Although it takes time, there may be cases where it can be made available.
Others10-1Could you tell me about the purchasing procedure?Please check 1. Procedure from order to delivery for details.
Others10-2Why does type strain representation for molds and yeasts differ between JCM and other collections?The rules for naming fungi (mushrooms, molds, yeasts, etc.) follow the International Code of Nomenclature for algae, fungi, and plants (ICN). The term "type strain" in reference to bacteria is not included in the ICN protocol. For plants and fungi, as a general rule, the "type" attached to a given scientific name cannot be a living organism but, rather, must be a dehydrated specimen or an illustration of the type (although exceptions have been made in recent years for freeze-dried specimens that are metabolically inactive). However, in consideration of the practical utility of a living strain derived from the type strain, the term "ex-type strain" is used to officially designate such strains so that they can be used for purposes of comparison, etc. Accordingly, not only do fungus strains in culture not represent type strains from a nomenclature standpoint, the term "type strain," in the first place, is not recognized in the official nomenclature rules. That said, the term "type strain" is often used in place of "ex-type strain," particularly in the case of yeasts, for the benefit of users who deal with microbes including bacteria. Furthermore, considering that many mushrooms and molds are difficult to culture and the fact that the naming of such organisms traces its history back to the time of Linnaeus (1735), ex-type strains do not exist in the vast majority of cases.
Others10-3Can we use provided cultures at another organization?Cultures provided by JCM and their derivatives are only permitted to be used within the institution or organization that executed the MTA, and for the stated research purpose. Use of the provided cultures and their derivatives by organizations other than the institution or organization that executed the MTA, or for research purposes other than those stated, is prohibited. Any questions should be forwarded to us by email .

Comments are closed.