JCM distributes some fungi to users in the form of frozen-thawed agar disks in cryotubes. These cultures were prepared according to the method of Ito (1993). To revive the cultures, please follow the directions shown below.
- Prepare a suitable medium for the fungal strain by consulting the JCM On-line Catalogue of Strains.
- Check that the cap of the cryotube is closed firmly, and then wipe the tube with cotton wool containing 70% alcohol.
- Open the cap slowly under sterile environment. To prevent contamination, it is recommended that the upper part of the tube is covered with a sterilized cotton sheet or cotton wool (NOT containing alcohol).
- Pick up agar disks from the cryotube with a suitable tool (e.g., microspatula, platinum loop, etc.), and inoculate them on the medium.
- Incubate the culture under the directed condition for several weeks.
Ito, T. 1993. A simple method for the transport of fungal cultures stored by freezing. Bull. JFCC 9: 9-12.